Koronadal City, South Cotabato. The Cotabato Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development Consortium (CAARRDEC) spearheaded a two-day Regional Symposium on Research and Development Highlights and Technology Forum and Clinic on December 7-8, 2016 at Villa Amor Hotel, Koronadal City.
With the theme “Advancing Science and Technology Towards Food Security,” the symposium is aimed at disseminating various relevant technologies to benefit farming communities in Mindanao, specifically to:
1) disseminate farming technology-related information through techno-forum and exhibit technologies relevant to SOCCSKSARGEN Region;
2) bring together all stakeholders for interaction and address common issues on research and development; and
3) showcase new innovations and create awareness among farmers on emerging
agricultural technologies for possible adoption.
The conduct of a symposium is a yearly activity of the consortium that showcases the researches of the CAARRDEC member-agencies and other research institutions which have generated, documented and improved technologies highly relevant to the modernization of farming practices in the country, particularly in the SOCCSKSARGEN region.
This year’s symposium was participated in by over 100 participants ranging from farmers, researchers, prospective agricultural investors, and line agencies from the provinces and municipalities of the region. Gracing the symposium is Deputy Executive Director Dr. Danilo C. Cardenas of the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic Resources Research and Development (PCAARRD).
Among the researches presented during the first day of the event, categorized by research and development, are the following:
- Analysis of Rice Farming Practices in Four (4) Irrigator Associations of Midsayap, Cotabato
- Morphometric Analysis of Rice Released Varieties in Warm Environment
- Molecular Markers for Mango Cultivar Identification and Genetic Characterization
- Vulnerability Adaptation of Rice Production Towards Climate Change in Region XII;
- Attributions to Rice Productivity in Region XII
- S&T Based Intensification on the Use and Production of Effective Microorganism as Biofungicide against Phytophthora Disease and as Biofertilizer
- Enhancement of Tissue Culture Propagation Protocol using Male Bud/Floral Apex of Banana
- Farm Based Promotion of Alternative Management Options and Farm Recording
- Gap Enhanced Yield of Lakatan and Saba/Cardava in Region XII
- Management of Postharvest Diseases of Mango Using Biofungicides in Padada, Davao del Sur
- Increasing Farmers’ Productivity through Adoption of Alternate Wetting and Drying (AWD) and Associated Rice Production Technologies in Regions IX, XI (Davao del Sur), XII and ARMM
The second day of the event focused on a technology forum and clinic for the farmers. Three (3) researches/studies, which were already tested, were presented for possible adoption of the farmer-investors and farmers, namely:
- A Model for Sustainable Rubber-Based Farming System Integrated with Plantation Crops and Livestock
- Farmers Livestock School for Goat Enterprise Management
- Non-Conventional Hybrid Corn Production
The last part of the activity was the technology cliniquing in which the farmers were given time to consult experts on the production of different crops from different research institutions. (Helen L. Vestal, NEDA XII-DRD)